In the near future, your job and dating prospects are all a factor of your DNA and the quality of your genetics. Much like the risk of people hunting you down online that we have today, this shows how the essence of who you are could be used against you. Some examples:
- A girl takes a stray hair to the corner DNA lab to check out a guy she's interested in.
- Our protagonist, who's parents decided to let grow naturally in the womb instead of letting the fetus be genetically perfected, has inferior DNA. This prevents him from getting any kind of job better than cleaning toilets.
- Even though people are legally protected from DNA collection, potential applicants who don't "volunteer" a sample are considered unhirable. Though illegal, the discrimination is impossible to prove..
- Desperate people use the DNA of others to borrow identities so they can get things they otherwise couldn't.
- All police searches, checks, investigations, etc. involve checking DNA.
Basically, it's a cautionary tale of what we could become if we let our genetic data become the standard by which we're treated in society.